Also known as the happy island, Rab is like heaven on Earth. With numerous hidden coves, different beaches with crystal clear water, and picturesque corners, it is definitely worth the visit. Only 22 km long, Rab is connected via ferries with the neighboring islands of Krk and Pag, as well as with the mainland. While the southwestern side of the island is covered with oak forests, the northeastern part is mostly karst and barren. We’ll cover things to do, beaches to visit, and where to stay on one of the best islands in Croatia, Rab.
Follow me on Social Media!
Best Things To Do in Rab
I’ve included a list of both the towns to visit on Rab, as well as some notable attractions, all detailed below.
Places to Visit in Rab
The main settlements are Rab Town, Supetarska Draga, Banjol, Kampor, Lopar, etc.
- The town of Rab – the main city surrounded by ancient city walls and recognizable by four church towers: the bell tower of the cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the bell tower of churches of St John the Evangelist, St Andrew the Apostle, and St Justine. The old town is full of charming narrow streets and local shops. Moreover, it is home to various architectural and cultural heritage monuments, as well as Gothic and Renaissance palaces. The Franciscan Monastery of St Bernardin, for example, is a great place to admire a large collection of sacral art, valuable old books, ethnographic collection, ecclesiastical art or coin collection. Finally, during summer months, the city itself becomes the main spot for cultural events, fishermen nights, art exhibits, folk music evenings, classical music concerts, etc.
Extra tip: the main town beach offers great views of church towers and city walls. Due to its location under a classical music school, you can swim and enjoy live music.
- Supetarska Draga – one of the oldest towns on the island full of natural beaches. It is also home to the oldest Benedictine abbey on the island and a favorite spot among sailboat fans.
- Banjol – a charming village with beautiful seaside promenade and sandy beaches. It is also full of local shops and taverns where you can buy local products or enjoy local delicacies.
- Kampor – a cute fisherman village wrapped in the forest reservation. It is filled with numerous hiking and trekking trails, as well as sandy beaches (I recommend Mel beach!). Moreover, Kampor has lots of charming rustic restaurants and shops. Must-visit attractions are the Franciscan monastery of St Eufemia, the Ethnographic Museum, and the oldest library and archive of Croatian writing collected by father Ambroz Testen.
- Lopar – also known as ‘Sandy Paradise’, Lopar boasts numerous sandy beaches and hidden coves.
GetYourGuide Widget Plugin>> This plugin does not support adding widgets via the wordpress appearance menu. To use this plugin, please add the widgets within your posts, by adding new blocks. <<
Best Attractions in Rab:
Here is a short overview of the most interesting attractions:
- Palace Bakota – a beautiful palace surrounded by garden walls and a portal built in the Venetian Gothic style
- Duke’s Palace – a palace built in Gothic and Renaissance style with a gorgeous tower dominating the palace. Nowadays, it is home to the offices of the island’s municipality.
- Monastery of St Eufemia – Kampor 19, 51280, Rab, Croatia. A church and a monastery decorated with beautiful altars and pictures of saints. One part of the monastery is turned into the Ethnographic Museum where you can admire an amazing collection of rare books, choral songs, etc.
- Church of St Christopher – a little chapel that serves as a museum and a lapidary.
- Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary – 51280, Rab, Croatia. A magnificent cathedral that houses an altar of different architectural styles. Here you can also find valuable paintings, relics, and reliquaries.
Like this post? Save it on Pinterest!
Best Beaches in Rab
The northern part of the island has amazing sandy beaches, while the western side is ideal for cliff lovers. Additionally, in the southern part, you’ll find gravel shores and pebble beaches. To help you decide which beach spot is right for you, here is a small overview of the best island’s beaches:
- Rajska Plaza (Paradise Beach)– San Marino, Rab, Croatia. The most famous beach on the island with a blue flag since 2003. Long 1.5 km, it is a sandy beach with shallow water, which makes it perfect for family vacations.
- Pudarica – 51280, Barbat, Croatia. Situated on the southern part of the island next to Barbat, this beach has amazingly clear water. Moreover, it has a nudist section.
- Lungo Mare – a popular beach full of restaurants, public showers and toilets, kayaks, pedal boats, jet skis, etc.
Check out my travel vlog on Island Hopping in Croatia below!
Where to Stay in Rab
When it comes to accommodation, the island of Rab offers various options. You can find anything from luxury, high-class hotels to private rooms and guesthouses on one of the best islands in Croatia, Rab. Here are a few of my recommendations:
What do you think about one of the best islands in Croatia, Rab? Let me know in the comments!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products that I personally know and use, and the income helps to keep this site updated and free for everyone.