Highly popular among one-day trip itineraries from Dubrovnik, Mljet island is a perfect place for nature lovers, landscape photographers or tranquility seekers. It is also the greenest Croatian island due to its Mediterranean vegetation, which makes a great contrast to crystal clear sea, sandy shoreline, and underwater sea life. We’ll outline things to do, beaches to visit and where to stay on one of the best islands in Croatia, Mljet.
Follow me on Social Media!
Best Things To Do in Mljet
Here are some of the notable attractions to put on your itinerary:
- Stara Skula (Old School) – a multimedia gallery and the first one of its kind on the island. It has served several purposes such as post office, doctor’s surgery, and primary school.
Stara Skula – Goveđari 14, Goveđari, Mljet
- Odysseus Cave – Located on the South of the island, this is a large beautiful grotto cave that is a geomorphological phenomenon with a legend behind it. It is reachable via boat or a rough path from Babino Polje.. A karst hole that looks like a pit is connected with the open sea by a small tunnel. Therefore, when the weather is nice, you can pass through the tunnel. How cool is that?
Odisejeva špilja – 20225, Babino Polje, Croatia
- Seaside villages – Pomena, Polace, Saplunara, and Sobra are seaside villages that attract most of the visitors. Saplunara is popular for its beaches. Sobra is the port for car ferries, while Pomena and Polace are entries for the national park.
- Tombs from the Illyrian period – If you are a fan of culture and history, Mljet offers many fortifications and tombs, preserved from the Illyrian period. The best ones can be found on the hills of Veliko Jezero lake, Veliki Gradec, and Babino Polje.
- St. Mary’s Island – In the middle of Veliko Jezero, there is a small St Mary’s island with an old Benedictine Monastery. The oldest church complex in the Adriatic is also an important monument of Romanesque culture in Croatia. It is also a picturesque place to wander around ruins while having amazing views across the lake. Don’t forget to bring your swimsuits because this charming islet is popular for swimming and snorkeling.
Pristanište Sv Marije – 20226, Goveđari, Croatia
- Outdoor Adventure – Other must-do things on Mljet island include cycling with 43 km of the route and the highest peak 513 m, and canoeing or kayaking, which makes it a great way to explore the coastline. Bike rentals are also available, so adventure souls can enjoy the island to the fullest.
Mljet National Park
One of the biggest draws to Mljet is it’s national park that covers a third of the island. The park features two salted lakes – Veliko Jezero and Malo Jezero. Both are located at the north end of the island and are popular swimming spots for locals and tourists as well. Another reason one of the best islands in Croatia, Mljet is a must-visit.
Additional information: Mljet National Park is open daily from 8 am until 8 pm. The entrance fee is 125 Croatian kunas for adults (19 USD) and 70 Croatian kunas for children (10 USD).
Best Beach in Mljet
If you are looking for the best beach on the island, head to the south and visit Saplunara. It is a lovely bay with sandy beaches, a local shop, a small restaurant, a café bar, and only 20 houses. Beaches are surrounded by pine woods and have warm water all year around.
Saplunara Beach – 20224, Saplunara, Croatia
What to Eat in Mljet
Mljet is well known for white and red wine, goat’s cheese, and olives. To experience real local vibes, head to one of the local restaurants and order traditional food. The music you’ll hear is a traditional Croatian acapella singing also known as ‘klapa music’.
Check out my travel vlog on Island Hopping in Croatia below!
Where to Stay in Mljet
Are you ready to visit one of the best islands in Croatia, Mljet? Let me know in the comments below!
Save and share on Pinterest!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products that I personally know and use, and the income helps to keep this site updated and free for everyone.