Well-known among luxury travelers and celebrities as one of the best islands in Croatia, Hvar is a 68 km long island situated between the islands of Brac, Vis, and Korcula. This trendy beach destination is the sunniest spot in the country (2724 sunny hours per year) with lots of pine forests, vineyards, lavender fields, olive groves, and fruit orchards. On the other hand, sandy beaches, interesting coves, and crystal-clear sea are in great contrast with charming towns full of historical and cultural monuments, picturesque cobbled streets, and charming city corners.
Read on to learn more about the best things to do, beaches to visit and where to stay on one of the best islands in Croatia, Hvar.
Follow me on Social Media!
Best Things To Do in Hvar
The most popular area is Hvar Town, a fancy part of the island packed with elegant restaurants, luxury hotels, vibrant beach bars, and posh yachts. A place to see and be seen and enjoy laid-back luxury travel. It is also a town that never sleeps where wild parties are held till early mornings.
Besides being famous as a yacht-lined destination of Hvar Town, the island of Hvar can offer something even to those who are not fans of partying and luxurious Croatia island hopping. The northern coastal towns of Stari Grad (Old Town) and Jelsa are perfect places for those who want a laid-back vacation with relaxed vibes, eager to learn more about the history, culture, and traditions of the island.
These places are also ideal for family vacations due to numerous family-owned restaurants, cozy café bars, local shops, and interesting attractions. Stari Grad is also the main seaport on the island and one of the oldest towns in Europe, while Jelsa is a market town full of luxuriant vegetation.
Here are some of the must-visit places when it comes to these cute traditional towns:
- Stari Grad – the area is rich in archeological sites dating from classical and pre-history times. Old Town Walls are definitely worth visiting, as well as the Illyrian fort above the city and the Greek tower in the Stari Grad Plain. Architecture lovers will enjoy seeing one of the numerous charming churches such as Church of St Stephen, Church of St John, then Palace Biankini (the place where you can also find Stari Grad Museum!), Old Windmill, and the oldest theatre in Europe.
- Jelsa – the area is full of interesting historical sites including the Augustinian hermitage or Church of St Mary with its bell tower. Don’t forget to visit Square, a beautiful Renaissance-Baroque architecture example of houses dating back from the 16th to 19th centuries. Moreover, Dubokovic-Nadali house will enchant every art lover with an extensive library, well-preserved antique furniture, and numerous paintings and artistic items. When you get tired of walking around the attractions, find refreshments in Perivoj Jelsa (Park Jelsa), an amazing public garden full of Mediterranean plants, palm trees, large oleanders, poplars, and acacias.
Best Beaches in Hvar
Hvar beaches are usually bounded by pine trees and Mediterranean bushes, which offer great shade protection during hot summer days. Most of the beaches are pebbled or rocky, hidden in numerous inlets and bays. Sandy beaches can be found in Jelsa (Mina Beach), near Sucuraj and Mlaska, as well as Maslinica in Stari Grad bay.
Mina Beach: 21465, Jelsa, Croatia
Maslinica Beach: 21450, Selca kod Starog Grada, Croatia
Moreover, the most beautiful and popular beaches of Hvar Town are situated on the Pakleni Islands, a group of blissful islands. From secluded coves with pebbles and sandy beaches to nudist beaches, this area has it all.
Check out my travel vlog on Island Hopping in Croatia below!
Where to Stay in Hvar, Croatia
- Best Boutique Hotel in Hvar – Hotel Villa Rosmarinus: With an infinity edge pool and gorgeous views, the hotel is a great option. Breakfast is served in your room. This hotel is located just a few minutes outside of the town of Hvar.
- Best Luxury Hotel in Hvar – Palace Elisabeth, Hvar Heritage Hotel – If you are looking for laid-back luxury this is it! This hotel offers a full restaurant, cocktail bar, pool, spa services, in-room breakfast and more. Enjoy modern luxuries within a historic property, truly amazing.
- Best Budget Hotel in Hvar – Villa Vista Hvar: Located in Jelsa, this is a great affordable accommodation. Walking distance to the beach, and a buffet breakfast included.
BOOK NOW: Hotels in Hvar
Have you visited one of the best islands in Croatia, Hvar? Let me know in the comments below!
Save and share on Pinterest!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products that I personally know and use, and the income helps to keep this site updated and free for everyone.