Near the city of Sibenik lies a small Island named Zlarin. It has a great ferry connection with Sibenik and Vodice as well. Due to its natural beauty, it is called the golden, green, and coral island. Furthermore, Zlatin is rich in fig and cypress trees, while the inner parts of the island are still inhabited and covered with thick forest. It also has the longest waterfront of all islands in Croatia (130 meters long). We’ll cover things to do, tips, and where to stay on one of the best islands in Croatia, Zlarin.
Follow me on Social Media!
Best Things To Do in Zlarin
As the island is really small, there are a small number of attractions. However, some places are definitely worth visiting:
- Coral Museum – a unique museum where you can gain more information about the main tradition on the island. Moreover, each year
- Three boat regattas – each year, boat regattas gather many yacht enthusiasts. Even if you are not a fan of yachting in Croatia, so many boats in one place is a really beautiful sight.
- Traces of Roman and Illyrian settlements that will enchant all those history buffs among you.
- Klepac – the highest point on the island (174 m above sea level) is ideal for trekking. During bright and sunny days, you can even see Mount Velebit and volcanic Jabuka island.
- Our Lady of Raselj – an old church from the 15th century with beautiful architecture, which preserves the tradition for a whole region.
- Church of Maria’s Assumption – a 18th century church is another important pilgrimage place on the island.
GetYourGuide Widget Plugin>> This plugin does not support adding widgets via the wordpress appearance menu. To use this plugin, please add the widgets within your posts, by adding new blocks. <<
Interesting fact: In the wintertime, the island has a population of almost 300, but in the period between March and October, that number increases to 1500 people.
Extra tip: The island of Zlarin is most known for its culture of harvesting red corals and turning them into jewelry. In the same way, during summer months, you may witness a ceremony that is held for sailors who are going to the sea at night to find corals. It’s a beautiful traditional ceremony where locals are dressed in folk costumes, singing and dancing all night long.
Best Beaches on Zlarin
When it comes to beaches, the island is full of sandy and pebble beaches with lots of natural shade and peaceful ambiance. It’s the main reason why one of the best islands in Croatia, Zlarin is a favorite vacation destination among families with children or couples. On the other hand, wild beaches with intact nature are perfect for those seeking solitude and tranquility. As there are no hotels on the island, private accommodation options are only available.
Where to Stay in Zlarin
Check out my travel vlog on Island Hopping in Croatia below!
Do you have one of the best islands in Croatia, Zlarin on your travel list? Let me know in the comments.
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products that I personally know and use, and the income helps to keep this site updated and free for everyone.