The island of Krk is a Croatian island located in the north Adriatic Sea, near the city of Rijeka. It is also the most populous Croatian island with multiple towns and villages. Mostly rocky and hilly, Krk’s landscape varies from forests in the west to sunburnt ridges in the east. Moreover, the northwestern coast is steep and rocky because of the cold northeasterly wind bura. Due to its mild Mediterranean climate, the great geographical position with good transport connections, as well as natural and cultural beauty, Krk is called ‘The Golden Island’. We’ll cover things to do, beaches to visit, and where to stay on one of the best islands in Croatia, Krk.
Follow me on Social Media!
Best Things To Do in Krk
The main settlements include:
- Krk Town – a capital of the island where you can find plenty of historic remains, a long seafront embankment, a picturesque marina and lots of restaurants. A must-visit is Frankopan Castle, a place of historical importance.
- Vrbnik – a medieval town with charming narrow streets full of interesting architecture and cultural monuments. While you are there, don’t forget to go wine-tasting (try Poljoprivredna zadruga Vrbnik). Zlahtina is a famous white wine, which is a must-try in Vrbnik.
- Small towns of Malinska, Njivice and Omisalj – a lovely option to spend a vacation due to beautiful pebble beaches, relaxed vibes, and cozy restaurants and café bars.
Furthermore, this is a perfect place if you want to try out your skills in watersports. Jet-skiing, wakeboarding, and flyboarding are just some of the available options for adrenaline junkies.
Best Beaches in Krk
The best part about the island of Krk is the fact that it is really rich when it comes to beaches. Anyone can find a perfect beach for themselves, including those who are coming with their four-paw friends. Here is a small overview of the best Krk’s beaches:
- Golden Beach – a pebble beach located on the southern part of the island. it can be reached only by boat or a dinghy.
- Sveti Marek – a sandy beach ideal for families with children. It has a huge parking spot, lots of shade, and three beach bars.
- Potovosce – a pebble beach near the village of Vrbnik. Here you can rent umbrellas, sun chairs or find refreshments in a small beach bar. It makes a perfect place for those who are looking for solitude, peace, and tranquility.
- Vela Plaza – a stunning natural beach with a length of 1800 m. It has been awarded the blue flag due to its cleanliness, pleasant environment, and safety. Moreover, the beach offers interesting activities such as jet-skiing, parasailing, water slides and many more.
- Vela Javna – a wild pebble beach near Vrbnik with intact natural beauty. It is ideal for those who want to swim and sunbathe on cliffs, far away from the crowds. In addition, there is a pebble beach for dogs.
- Rajska Plaza (Heaven Beach) – a wild pebble and rocky beach near Malinska. Marked by luscious Mediterranean vegetation and beautiful intact natural landscapes, this beach is also completely dog-friendly.
Interesting fact: In addition to those mentioned above, Krk also has beaches with the proven effectiveness of medicinal mud. The perfect example is the beach in the bay of Soline at Dobrinje.
Check out my travel vlog on Island Hopping in Croatia below!
Where to Stay in Krk
Luxury Hotel Riva: A modern and beautiful hotel located in Malinska. Amenities include an indoor and outdoor pools, a spa, hot tub, as well as a high-end restaurant. To top it off, breakfast is included.
Lola Dream: This accommodation is located in Krk Town, and has a very french chic vibe. With breakfast included, this is a great budget option.
Have you visited one of the best islands in Croatia, Krk? Let me know in the comments!
Disclosure: Please note that some of the links above are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I earn a small commission if you make a purchase. I only recommend products that I personally know and use, and the income helps to keep this site updated and free for everyone.