10 Things to Know Before Traveling to Ambergris Caye
1. They take US Dollars
I suggest bringing lots of $1 bills to pay for the small incidentals like souvenirs, meals, tips, etc.
2. Use an ATM!
But remember they only give Belizean dollars.
3. American Express is a No-No
American express is generally not accepted on the island. Bring a Visa or Mastercard credit card.
4. Where to Buy Alcohol
Whether you want to drink wine or rum, it is much more expensive when you get to Ambergris Caye and super easy to bring it from the mainland. I suggest purchasing the Belize City Airport Duty Free Store.
5. There are 2 ways to get to the island.
You can get to the island by ferry for $37 roundtrip or you can take a flight with Tropic air for $89 each way. If you book with Tropic Air, book directly with the airline instead of a third party as it’s much easier to deal with them if there are any changes.
6. Try Belizean Food!
7. Bring Reef -friendly Sunscreen and Bug Repellant.
The reef is very fragile in Ambergris Caye. This is my favorite reef friendly sunscreen.
8. Are Prices in US Dollars?
Assume all the prices are in Belizean dollars (no need to ask if it’s in USD).
9. Where to Rent a Golf Cart in Ambergris Caye
Rent a golf cart in San Pedro rather than your hotel. (It’s cheaper).
10. Where to Stay in Ambergris Caye
Stay in the South end of the Island near the town of San Pedro. There are many more shops, restaurants and things to do. It’s closer to the airport, too. It is loud at times, but I believe well worth it in order to be where the action is.
Looking for a place to stay in Ambergris Caye? Check out these great options:
- Ramon’s Village Resort – This is where I stayed. Convenient if you want to go diving – your room is a few yards away from the dive shop and boats! Lovely jungle themed accommodations.
- Victoria House – A quiet Caribbean getaway. I got a chance to visit, and this is off the beaten path but close to town. One of the most famous places to stay.
- The Phoenix Resort – Rated #1 on Trip Advisor! A high end resort in the center of town.
- Caribbean Villas Hotel – An inexpensive option for Ambergris Caye